Back to Top

“Every little helps” on flood defences

Hull North MP Diana Johnson has reacted to news of the £80m allocated by the Government to flood defence works around the Humber.

Hull North MP Diana Johnson said: “This is not new money, but it tells us what the Humber’s share is of funding announced previously by Ministers. Overall flood defence investment has actually been cut since 2010.

“This £80m over six years for the Humber should be set against the £888m minimum identified by the Environment Agency as what’s needed for flood protection works around the Humber over the next ten years.

“Today’s allocation is therefore 9% of what’s needed - but it’s a start and every little helps. Local MPs will continue working on a cross-party basis to see that this £80m materialises and lobby for the other 91% in terms of what we need for flood defences around the Humber.

“It’s notable that the biggest allocation for flood defence works announced today was the £196m for the Thames Estuary.”

followme
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Email

Diana's twitter feed